Aug 1, 2010

2010 5th gen 4runner Trail Edition Icon Install and Chiva Falls break in.

When my buddy Steve went with us on our now yearly Death Valley trip he really liked our truck. I explained to him my logic and why I liked the 4runner after owning Jeeps, Ford pickups and a Toyota Tacoma.
This year there were a couple of trails he couldn't make in his current Chevy 2wd pickup, although he made it places that shocked me, so he said that was it! He started peppering me with questions about model years and options. Then I get a call that he threw in the chips and got a brand new 2010 5th Generation Toyota 4runner Trail Edition 4x4. Heck of a long description/name.
Having worked for a company called Donahoe Racing, now Icon Vehicle Dynamics, in the past I explained to him the differences in suspension systems. Of course I explained how Icon was far and above the best. :-) And it is.

I put in a call to Mike at Icon and Steve called around for the best tire deal. Next thing you know he was headed to AZ from Orange County with BFG AT's and a full Icon kit in the back of his truck.

We headed down to Tucson to install the kit at my buddies home shop. The sunset was amazing.
Photobucket

We were lucky that his shop had a 4runner sized slot in it because the Monsoon was in full bloom and it was flooding outside. We wedged it inside and started to work.
Photobucket

The install is very straight forward. The only additional factor over my truck is the sway bars, which I've removed on my truck and the need to remove the tie rod end to install the coilover on the front end.
Photobucket
The new and old springs:
Photobucket

Pulling out the front coilovers.
Photobucket

New and old. I love Toyota's, but I think the Ferguson will do more miles.
Photobucket

Bling bling. They'll never look this good again.
Photobucket

Steve pretending to work. HAHA! Just kidding buddy.
Photobucket

It was REALLY late by the time we finished. I think he fell asleep here.
Photobucket

The finished product. I think this is how the Trail Edition should have looked from the factory.
Photobucket

On Sunday we decided to take the truck out and test it out a bit.
Toyota commercial.
Photobucket

Heading down the waterfall or chutes along the Chiva Falls trail. I've heard it called both.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Tucson is so much more green than Phoenix. They always seem to get more of the monsoons. Beautiful area.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Fair amount of muddy spots on the trail. Fore Arizona anywho.
Photobucket

3rd Gen and 5th Gen.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Vulture just waiting for us to break down.
Photobucket

It looked solid, but... well yah. Not so much.
Photobucket


The Power Wagon is an amazing truck. If I had a fullsize I'd have it over any other.
Front and rear differential lockers, a sway bar disconnect, a 12,000 lb winch, and a giant V8 all with a warranty isn't that bad!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The 4runners didn't get stuck. Of course. ;-)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Water crossing's work well to clean the mud off while it was still wet.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The falls were really flowing well!!
Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Crossing on the way out.
Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We used the Wagon to pull out a couple of guys that got stuck at another crossing.
Photobucket

Photobucket

All around. A good weekend.
Photobucket






5 comments:

Brian said...

Nice work on the 5th gen Icon setup Tim. Good stuff! Hope all is well with you and Danica!

William said...

WOW! The 5th gen 4runner trail edition lives up to hertiage of the line! Those are stunning shots worthy of a Toyotam advert!

Trail 4Runner Blog said...

Damn, impressive set-up(s). The Icon Lift stage two billet is next on my list. Are you loving the drive on it or what?

SOAZ said...

Trail 4runner Blog,
6 years in the setup worked well for quite a number of years, but after a few rebuilds and leaky shock being replaced they decided to go with the cheaper and less fancy Old Man Emu setup. I really like Icon, but the quality seems to not last the test of time anymore.
Tim

Trail 4Runner said...

SOAZ,

Just getting back on this, wow that's a bummer. I have heard of the TRO Bilstein's leaking quite often but never the Icons. Total bummer!! Good to know and definitely something to consider. I guess you always run some type of risk running aftermarket anything these days. In any case, it's all a learning process. Pretty funny though, we just ordered a stage 4 for our 2014 TE. Wish us luck!

Contributors