Feb 13, 2011

Gas can Trash can. ...and ripped off coil bucket.

So in 4runner news I managed to rip the coil bucket/Shock mount from the frame rails about 70% of the way due to some spirited driving or maybe just the 5 years of abuse. Hard to say. I made a gingerly trip down to Tucson and it held together! 4 hours later the rear suspension was off, it was welded and gusseted and it was all back together. :-)
(Take note 3rd genners, this is a known issue with them and hard use over time. It was after a day of particularly spirited driving keeping up with dirt bike riders so I almost knew I'd break something. I do think that the weld had started to break loose before that day though. Sort of a long term failure)
Some before. Girls are good for bouncing trucks.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
No after shots. Basically lots of nice welds, because I didn't do the welding, with some gussets to make sure it's stout.


So I had some time to start on another mini project. My rear swing out rack is a gas can or water can holder with a table. That's great, but what about trash. I have used an ammo can I had for a trash can. Amazingly, there isn't an ammo can or anything else that fits in a jerry can holder exactly. So, I figured I'd take an old Jerry can and turn it into a trash can. David, Natalie and Paco who are some good friends in the old pueblo had one laying around rusting away so I stopped by to check in and pick it up.
This sucker was really rusted out, but in my eyes it just had a nice patina.
Simple enough. Cut off the top, weld on a hindge, weld on a compression latch, weld on some guides so when it's shut it stays shut in line, de burr the edges, sand blast the inside and then paint the inside and the bottom. That sounds like a lot, but it was easy.
I just painted the inside and the bottom to prevent further rust. I left the outside because I like it. It has character. I am going to let the new hinges rust up and then maybe I'll clear coat the whole thing. Big thanks to Brent as always for the help and work on the 4runner and the gas can. He has such wonderful toys!!!

"Feed me seymore!"
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Oh, and he even made a cool metal cupid and powder coated it for Danica. Valentines gift, DONE! Haha. ;-)
Photobucket

No comments:

Contributors