Blog Archive

Sep 14, 2010

HHMC 2010. DAY 9 of 10

533 Miles or 590 today if you trust the Triumph Odometer.

View HHMC Run 2010 in a larger map

It was going to be a long day so I tried to get up with the sun. I unloaded the Triumph and was absolutely shocked that my street tires gripped and the trump road right up the hill I had hidden the bike beneath!
I knew I'd be stopping as little as possible so I rode down into Bridgeport to catch a breakfast and GIANT coffee at the same place we had days before.
I said hello to the Rhino for Scuba Steve. She's waiting there for you! Your prison guard of a woman is waiting for you. (No seriously, that's what she did for work)

Photobucket

I blasted along the 120. This highway is empty and the road is perfectly kept up. The whoop-de-dews are pretty fun. You'll catch just enough air to loose your stomach going about 90.
I gassed up and headed for Tonopah, NV. It got hot almost as soon as I had entered Nevada again. Damn.
On the upside, as I rolled into Tonopah I found the place that NO ONE could ever sleep well for fear of evil murdering clowns getting you.
Welcome, sleep well until Pennywise get's you!
Photobucket

Murdering Clown Motel Office.
Photobucket

As I left Tonopah I knew it might be a little while until I saw a gas station, building or even another car again soon, but I had no idea how long.
Photobucket

This is where I wouldn't mind a bike that could go really really fast. There is only so long you can stare at a road this straight!
Photobucket

At the one turn I'd make for 200 miles I saw this trickling hot spring.
Photobucket

It was nice and warm!
Photobucket

Not doing so well out here.
Photobucket

Next gas 111 miles... Hmmm. I had already done 53 since Tonopah. The range of the Triumph is about 150 miles. This could get fun trying to make it to 164 miles. At least I had a few hours to think about it!
Photobucket

I could look out for ET!
Photobucket

Because of the gas situation I rode at 70mph to get the best mileage possible. 70 had never seemed so slow. It was painful to not goose the throttle and go a little faster.
If I ever see this view again it may be too soon. Don't get me wrong, in a weird way it was fun. I like having the odds against me.
Photobucket

I did get to see 4 other cars along the road over those few hours. 2 going my way and 2 going the other way...
I flipped over to the reserve tank... No town in sight.
Finally I came to an intersection. A real life intersection!! Well, it was exciting at the time...
Now the only problem was that the little town that supposedly has gas was still 12 more miles and it was in the wrong direction.
Well I made it just barely to Alamo, NV. I filled up the tank and turned around to head toward Caliente, NV.
The road was just as boring, but knowing gas was close I could ride a bit more briskly.
The best sight of the day was this... Cedary City, Utah! There was color, mountains and cool weather!
Photobucket

I grabbed some gas and gut rot food before heading up and over the 14.
Lovin UTAH!
Photobucket
Photobucket



Once at the summit I was riding at 10,000 feet. Nice and brisk! It was like taking a shower of cold air after Nevada.


I headed back down to a lowly 7000 feet so it might be a warmer night and decided to treat myself to a KOA. With showers, a pool, bathrooms, fire pits and a little store it was luxurious to me!
Photobucket

I asked where to eat and the locals said that the only place was the Buffalo Bistro down the road a few miles. Sounds good to me!
Photobucket

I saddled up to a table near the grill and had a Polygamy Porter. Gotta love that Utah sense of humor.
Photobucket

HELLUVA menu! I had the Buffalo and Wild Boar ribs. They were amazing!!!
Photobucket

Another good Utah brew.
Photobucket

And another good local choice!!
Photobucket

Nice. Photobucket

Shoot I meant to take the pic before I ate, but it was just so darn good!! The big ones are buffalo and the little ones are Wild Boar. I like the wild boar better than any ribs I've had. So soft they melt in your mouth. Not gamey at all.
Photobucket

I liked this place. Made me feel like I was in a friendly place. The owner chatted with me for a couple hours as he cooked on the grill.
This guy had a nice set up. It was his house and his restaurant that he opens for very limited hours and he only cooks exotic meats. Nothing boring.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I chatted for a few hours with my camping neighbors and then just relxed. Headed home tomorrow... Glad to see my lady, but I was tempted to pick her up and keep on riding!
I can't actually end can it.

No comments:

Contributors